Anorexia / Bulimia
Reversing the Effects on the Physical body
Reversing the Effects on the Physical body
There is no real value in talking about "what I have done to my body.... what I wish I had done.... what I should have done." Just start taking in nutrients that you feel are going to benefit you; and begin telling yourself that everything is working its way out and getting better.
Bulimia / Anorexia -
Those who have eating disorders will often find they have created a situation which disrupts digestion and stops the stomachs natural production of hydrochloric acid (HCL), leaving the cells and bones in great need of minerals.
What Does This Mean? Digestion, and assimilation have come to a halt or been greatly reduced.
No wonder I was so fatigued in my thirties. My body was depleted and starving for nutrients.
Even when the crisis is over, the stomach does not automatically begin to produce hydrochloric acid (HCL) on its own. Therefore it is very difficult for the body to digest, absorb and assimilate nutrients from food. Mineral deficiencies can become quite prominent, as minerals are the building blocks of our cells. (There are trillions of cells that make up our body). If digestion does not improve, then over the years, the body pulls minerals from our bones, teeth, and joints and will also deplete muscle mass to use as fuel for the body when it is not strong enough to assimilate protein - all to keep us alive.
Yes this can all be corrected.
For me at age 32, much to my shock, my stomach was producing 1% hydrochloric acid when I ate! I immediately began to take mega doses of capsules of HCl prior to each meal as it was essential for my body to start digesting food again. The rest is history, as I learned in the following years new ways of nourishing myself over time, which allowed my body to heal.
Some of you might be as I was many years ago, and have multiple health issues simultaneously. I sought help initially to give me specific direction to bring about healing. If this is your story consider a few sessions with a holistic nutritional coach who will help you focus on foods and supplements that are a good match to your needs. I certainly do not know what any one person needs nor can I replace a practitioner. A holitistic nutritional coach is a great place to start.
Keep in mind that there is no gold star for doing this perfectly. There is only improvement from where you are. This is not a project, just changes so you can strengthen and repair your body.
As you read the suggestions offered, follow what is the easiest thing for YOU to do first. I believe in starting with what is easy and then expanding from there.
Supplemental support is a good idea to more quickly replenish the body. Over the months my personal body became stronger, and within a year I felt a lot better.
At the grocery store health food section, pick up three items.
HCL (hydrochloric acid), Braggs apple cider vinegar and Holy Basil tea.
- Adding HCL and digestive enzymes to your regime at the beginning of each meal is highly recommended by alternative practitioners to break down protein, carbohydrates and fats and to teach the body to remember to produce these enzymes when we eat. HCL is taken at the beginning of the meal. Digestive enzymes as well, however I prefer to take the enzymes maybe 5 to 10 minutes prior to eating to signal the body's memory to prepare for digestion. HCL is easily available in the health food section of grocery stores (such as Whole Foods or Sprouts) - purchase a good brand… not the Walgreens/Walmart versions. Digestive enzymes are on our shopping cart.
- Braggs apple cider vinegar - 1 to 3 tps in water a few minutes before eating is a gentle way to help the stomach start producing more HCL. The apple cider vinegar must contain the “mother” which are the strands of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky, cobweb-like appearance such as BRAGGS brand. Braggs for example contains the right enzymes and is unfiltered, unheated and unpasteurized.
- Holy Basil tea – Purchase in bulk. The teabags often contain chemicals so it is great when we purchase loose tea. Holy basil is calming to the nervous system and assists the adrenals which often become worn out.
- Consider Vitamin A and D to help the bones remineralize. My preference is - BLUE ICE™ Royal Butter Oil / Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend - which I take regularly.
- Red Desert clay. I have been eating this every day for 12 years. It is currently in limited supply. Red Desert® clay has been quite beneficial for detoxification of many unwanted pathogens, providing minerals and moving calcium into my bones, which had lost density due to the eating disorder from so long ago.
- Magnesium - calming the nervous system, relaxing the body, reversing constipation and for calcium to be absorbed. Magnesium is usually very deficient in the body unless one has been mindful of eating nutritious foods. Constipation is helped tremendously with adequate magnesium, and this mineral is vitally necessary for over 300 body functions. Natural Calm or Mother Earth Brand.
- Adrenal fatigue, anxiety, hypothyroidism, acne, blood sugar and hair loss. Consider Adrenal Support as needed to assist the adrenals from depletion.
- Potent liquid vitamin supplements. Some like to take daily doses of liquid vitamins and minerals to more quickly restore depleted reserves. For a HIGHER QUALITY ORGANIC PRODUCT that is absorbed rapidly, consider IntraMax.
- Probiotics are a must every day. You want a good probiotic formula (not what is advertised on TV). There are some good probiotics at the health food stores and some are not so "hot." Personally I take PB formula probiotic one capsule once or twice a day. (PB formula is going to be more gentle to the intestines than Syntol.
- Floraphage destroys unwanted bacteria in the gut and can be very powerful. The bacteria once destroyed, becomes mega food (nutrients) for the beneficial flora increasing the potency of the probiotics we take.
Eat simple, easy to digest foods.
- Animal foods. A significant amount of HCL and digestive enzymes are used up to digest meat, chicken and other animal foods. Since these are much harder for the body to digest consider replacing them often with high protein 100% Hydrolyzed Collagen which is very easy for the body to absorb, assimilate and utilize. I take one scoop in the morning in whatever I am drinking and often another scoop late in the day. Read about all the benefits here i.e. bones, joints, skin, connective tissue etc.
- Acid/alkaline list - check this list for foods that are simple and easiest for you to eat and more alkaline.
- Smoothies can be very good because they are predigested. Smoothies can be made with coconut milk or almond milk, berries can be added for sweetener (berries are lower on the glycemic than other fruits), add some avocado if you like which makes the drink thicker and brings in a good fat.
- Vega One protein powder is easy for most people to digest and assimilate.
- I prefer organic spirulina and Pure Synergy added to my green drinks. Adding 1 to 3 tsps of spirulina provides an excellent dose of chlorophyll, iron and beta carotene, antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals and is very alkalizing. One TBS of Pure Synergy provides extra good chlorophyll rich, organic phytonutrients.
- Melons, cooked vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, sweet potatoes (any of the squashes) might be easiest for some to eat.
- Raw organic almond butter on celery sticks with a little celtic salt sprinkled on top.
- Personally I juiced raw vegetables and ate bowls of raw, uncooked vegetables from cabbage and kale to raw spinach and dandelion greens which took a little time to get used to. However after a while, it just became a habit to eat that way.
- Avocados, oatmeal, coconut yogurt (non dairy), quinoa, soft boiled eggs,
-- organic and raw nuts and seeds i.e. flax, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts etc.
- Pick produce that is easy for you to digest such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc - organic as the skins are thin and will soak up pesticides.
- Holy basil tea - A good tea to drink that is calming for the nervous system.
As mentioned, go very easy on yourself. There is no race. Supplements will help speed up recovery, however follow your intuition and do whatever feels easiest first. Help from a nutritional coach can be a life saver in the beginning!